Becoming a trusted partner throughout the world
As industry and infrastructure blossom in expanding markets, the need for effective standards becomes paramount. UL has put tremendous focus on establishing cooperative partnerships in the international standards development community. This approach aids expanding markets and UL’s standards development through collaboration and the sharing of safety information and ideas. To that end, UL convenes roundtable sessions with government and industry leaders and participates in discussions to develop and improve standards in emerging and established markets to improve safety.
Facilitating discussions with key leaders
UL convenes roundtable sessions with key leaders from industry, government, consumer groups and standards bodies to promote the development of a robust ecosystem for quality, with discussions centered on creating a roadmap for the development of consistent and effective safety standards.
UL actively supports international standards development. Experience in various parts of the world offers examples of how better standards development processes aid expanding markets.
UL contributes to the global development of effective safety standards and codes and serve as a trusted partner through the sharing of our research, standards and safety information.
Cooperative partnerships strengthen international SDO relationships
UL Standards has a number of cooperative partnerships with national and regional standards development organizations around the world. These partnerships strengthen the ability of UL and our partners to promote the development and maintenance of effective safety standards. When UL establishes a cooperative partnership with a national or regional standards body, the goals are to:
- Better address new and emerging issues (such as hazards and technology) with international partners through the sharing of UL standards, research and safety science
- Collaborate on international standards issues of mutual concern
- Improve understanding of our partner’s safety and standardization needs and priorities, which allows us to identify additional opportunities to advance our mission globally
- Encourage international participants to participate in our standards development process
- Obtain information regarding how our stakeholders can engage in the standards development activities of our partners
- Improve UL’s requirements by learning from our partners about emerging hazards, technologies and new safety science developments
- Connect our partners with other parts of UL to advance our mission through engagements beyond standards cooperation.
- UL actively collaborates in the global standards community.
- Development of global partnerships is accomplished by sharing standards, standards development expertise and safety information.
- Leveraging the expertise of UL and its partners is key to driving innovation and improving safety.
Virtual ARSO Workshop Sheds Light on Standards for Photovoltaic Systems in Africa
Read about the new workshop series with the African Organization for Standardization (ARSO), which is designed to provide standardization and safety information on five specific topics, including photovoltaic systems.
Regional Fire Safety Standards a Top Priority in Collaboration Agreement with the Institution of Fire Engineers, Singapore
Read about the recent MOU signing with the Institution of Fire Engineers, Singapore, which formalizes an agreement to strengthen fire safety standards in Singapore and advocate for the country’s fire safety industry.
Underwriters Laboratories Hosts Joint Webinar with L'Instituto Colombiano de Normas Tecnicas y Certificacion
Read about how both organizations are exploring opportunities to collaborate on standardization issues that contribute to the needs of Colombia. Topics at future sessions will include lighting, electric vehicles (EVs), cannabis and any additional needs that may arise.
Underwriters Laboratories Delivers Presentation on Standards for Grid-Connected Energy Storage Systems at U.S.-India SCCP Virtual Workshop
NORTHBROOK, Ill. February 25, 2021 – Underwriters Laboratories recently participated in a virtual workshop entitled, “The Future of Electric Vehicles in India,” a U.S.-India Standards and Conformance Cooperation Program (SCCP) series sponsored by the U.S. Trade and Development Agency and...
Underwriters Laboratories Hosts Joint Workshop Series with the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization
NORTHBROOK, Ill. February 17, 2021 – Underwriters Laboratories and the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) recently hosted the first two of 11 virtual workshops in a series organized to promote the sharing of standardization and safety information. As outlined in a 2007...
Underwriters Laboratories Holds Joint Webinar with the Technical Standards Institute of Costa Rica
We recently held a joint webinar with the Technical Standards Institute of Costa Rica in support of the Electrotechnical Committee of Costa Rica as it evaluates the need for standards that focus on photovoltaic and distribution systems.