Watch and Learn All About Counterfeiting
Underwriters Laboratories is collaborating with more than 30 global partners in their mission to help consumers make informed buying decisions that will keep themselves and their families safe. The inaugural campaign engaged with more than 8.5 million people globally. This year's quarterly campaign shares digital assets such as social posts, interviews, articles, infographics, and videos, providing valuable insights that can influence purchasing decisions. Each quarter highlights a new topic. Visit BeSafeBuyReal.UL.org to learn more.
The sale of counterfeit goods is on the rise, and it is not just an issue domestically. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, an intergovernmental group consisting of 36 member states, documented a 154 percent increase in counterfeits traded internationally, from $200 billion in 2005 to $509 billion in 20161 . In 2017, global losses through counterfeit purchases online reached $323 billion USD2 . In G-20 economies, 2.5 million jobs have been lost globally due to counterfeiting3 .
Counterfeit goods do not meet the safety standards of authentic goods. They can pose health risks, lead to job losses, negatively impact the economy, and fund crime.
- 1The White House. Memorandum on Combating Trafficking in Counterfeit and Pirated Goods (April 3, 2019).
- 2AP News. "Global Brand Counterfeiting Report 2018-2020 - ResearchAndMarkets.com" (May 15, 2018).
- 3"Global counterfeiting results in the loss of 2.5 million jobs and over $125 billion annually among the G20 economies." Page 10. U.S. Chamber of Commerce Global Intellectual Property Center. Measuring the Magnitude of Global Counterfeiting: Creation of a Contemporary Global Measure of Physical Counterfeiting (2016).
- Join the campaign by becoming an advocate and receiving an email each day of the campaign with links to social media posts about anti-counterfeiting.
- Since the inaugural campaign in 2019, the number of global partners in the fight against counterfeiting has increased more than 65 percent.
- The first Be Safe Buy Real campaign reached more than 8.5 million people.
- 206 campaign advocates from 34 countries supported the first Be Safe Buy Real campaign.
- In 2017, global losses through counterfeit purchases online reached $323 billion USD. Get tips on how to shop safely and see other resources here.
- In G-20 economies, 2.5 million jobs have been lost globally due to counterfeiting. Learn More about the negative global impact of counterfeiting.