Underwriters Laboratories’ Be Safe Buy Real is an annual global campaign designed to raise awareness about the health and safety risks associated with counterfeit products. Underwriters Laboratories is collaborating with more than 30 global partners in their mission to help consumers make informed buying decisions that will keep themselves and their families safe. The inaugural campaign engaged with more than 8.5 million people globally. More information is to come about this year's quarterly campaign, which will share digital assets such as social posts, interviews, articles, infographics, and videos, providing valuable insights that can influence purchasing decisions.
On November 18, 2020, the campaign introduced a Underwriters Laboratories Anti-Counterfeiting Virtual Research Symposium. This symposium featured prominent researchers, scholars and leaders of anti-counterfeiting initiatives discussing the health and safety effects of counterfeiting. For more information about the Underwriters Laboratories Anti-Counterfeiting Virtual Symposium, please click here and share BeSafeBuyReal.ul.org on your social networks. More details regarding the 2021 symposium will be available soon.
The sale of counterfeit goods is on the rise, and it is not just an issue domestically. The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, an intergovernmental group consisting of 36 member states, documented a 154 percent increase in counterfeits traded internationally, from $200 billion in 2005 to $509 billion in 2016.1 Counterfeit goods do not meet the safety standards of authentic goods. They can pose health risks, lead to job losses, negatively impact the economy, and fund crime.
- Join the campaign by becoming an advocate and receiving an email each day of the campaign with links to social media posts about anti-counterfeiting.
- Since the inaugural campaign in 2019, the number of global partners in the fight against counterfeiting has increased more than 65 percent.
- The first Be Safe Buy Real campaign reached more than 8.5 million people.
- 206 campaign advocates from 34 countries supported the first Be Safe Buy Real campaign.
- In 2017, global losses through counterfeit purchases online reached $323 billion USD2. Get tips on how to shop safely and see other resources here.
- In G20 economies, 2.5 million jobs have been lost globally due to counterfeiting3. Learn more about the Be Safe Buy Real campaign and the global impact from counterfeiting on our website.